West Chester, Pa.— Bill McSwain today held a press conference to address the surge in crime in Northeast Philadelphia and across the city and to announce his plan to restore law and order as Governor. In his remarks, McSwain promised to take back the streets of Philadelphia from the rioters, looters, criminals, and gangs who have grown powerful as a result of DA Larry Krasner and AG Josh Shapiro’s soft-on-crime policies.
McSwain, describing himself as the law and order candidate, spoke to crowds of supporters, local business leaders, and community members about his promise to restore Philadelphia to safety:
I am the law and order candidate for Governor. What the other candidates in this race know about crime, they read in the newspaper. I’m the only one who has done something about it. And I have a message for would-be criminals in this city: when I am Governor, I am coming for you. You will either obey the law, or you will go to jail – and you will stay there for a long time.
As Governor, I will lead from the front. I am not intimidated by murderous thugs, criminals, or the woke mob. I will restore law and order to our streets and neighborhoods. That is what law-abiding Pennsylvanians deserve, and that is exactly what they will get with a Governor McSwain.
MCSWAIN’S PLAN TO RESTORE LAW AND ORDER TO PENNSYLVANIA:
- Implement bail reform with automatic pretrial detention for violent felonies. There will be no more revolving door criminal justice.
- Aggressively pursue the death penalty for anyone convicted of killing a law enforcement officer.
- Increase funding for local law enforcement and hunt down violent criminals by any means necessary, including the use of the State Police and the National Guard.
- Stop rioting, looting, sanctuary cities, heroin injection sites, as well as Joe Biden’s ridiculous plan for crack pipe giveaways. As U.S. Attorney, McSwain stopped heroin injection sites and guarantees that they will not exist in this Commonwealth when he is Governor.
- Create financial incentives to recruit new law enforcement officers and ensure financial security for current law enforcement families by giving them more pay, and a secure retirement.
- Lead the effort to pass a state constitutional amendment that the District Attorney of a city of the first class will be appointed by the Governor. There is only one such city in our Commonwealth, and it is Philadelphia. The time has come for this change. The Governor should have the responsibility to appoint the chief law enforcement officer of the largest – and now, the deadliest – city in our Commonwealth. That is how we will rid the City of Larry Krasner.
The event was hosted by local business owner Anne Marie Muldoon, whose introductory remarks focused on the challenges she has faced as a business owner and community member as a result of Wolf, Shapiro, and Krasner’s soft-on-crime policies:
I represent every woman who would take walks on her lunch breaks, or after work, and those who stop at a store on the way home. We cannot do that any longer. We are adjusting our lives for criminals, instead of the criminals adjusting their lives to the rule of law.
McSwain’s full remarks are available here.
Appointed by President Trump, McSwain’s record as US Attorney demonstrates his fierce defense of constitutional rights, dedication to upholding law and order, and history of putting criminals and corrupt politicians in jail.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Bill served as a scout/sniper platoon commander in the U.S. Marine Corps. He was born in Philadelphia and raised in Chester County, where he lives today with his wife, Stephanie, and their four children.More information on McSwain’s background and platform is available here.